Wednesday, October 15, 2008

10/14/08 - For Patriots

So I figure, since this trip is cross country, I should probably take the time to visit my nation's capital. We spent about six hours walking around the monument area and Smithsonian in DC. We started by going by the White House.I was quite dissappointed not to be invited in for tea.

Next up was the Vietnam Memorial. It was cool, but as far as I know, no one close to me died there, so I didn't have a name to look up. We then moved on to the Lincoln Memorial. I think this one touched me the most, as his presidency was the catalyst for freedoms for all, not just white males, like myself. Granted, it wasn't a quick change, but there is a reason Martin Luther king Jr. chose that spot to make his speech. I also got me by the reflecting pool from there. From there, we headed over to the Korean War Memorial. I didn't even know we had one for that war, and it was probably the coolest of the war memorials. It's a bit hard to see because of the reflection, but they have etchings of soldiers on the wall here.
The World War I Memorial was pretty, though not as grand as the World War II. It also is only a memorial to the soldiers from DC who died in that war, rather than to all, as with the other memorials.
From those, we passed by the Washington Monument, which is quite a bit bigger than it looks from most photos and movies I've seen.
After several hours of walking the area, we were quite glad to come to this final monument. :)
Next came the Museums. I really wanted to see the American History Museum, but it has apparently been closed for some time. We did go to the Air and Space Museum as well as the National Gallery of Art. I took a few photos in the art museum, as well as one of Jefferson's Memorial and a statue of John Paul Jones. These can be seen in the Photobucket along with a great photo of the US Capitol Building.

3 comments:

Trog said...

Very cool. Never been to D.C. myself.

My dad always tells me of the time he and a buddy double-timed it up the stairs to the top of the Washington Monument when he was in the army. O.O

Only recently did he admit to taking the elevator back down afterwards. =P

And I really like the pic you took of Zeb and Alarra. Nicely composed.

Anonymous said...

It was good to have you back in the area, MS. I know we were probably a little more boring than the rest of your trip but we really enjoy your company and we're honored that you wanted to come back here on your way around the country. Now we just have to work on how we're going to be able to take a similar trip. 8-D

Trog, you just be sure and let us know when you want to come out this way and take the tour. We'd be more than happy to play tour guide for you too.
*pokes Trog*

phoenixineohp said...

The picture of the WW2 memorial in your photobucket is fantastic! I never realized how many memorials are in that area. Wow.