Sunday, October 26, 2008

10/26/08 - Short Trip, Long Day

Today was supposed to be a short trip up to the Grand Canyon. It's only a 250 mile trip. Unfortunately, there was a major Hazmat accident going north out of Phoenix. They had closed I-17 going both directions. The traffic for several miles was traveling at a snails pace. In fact, my engine overheated at one point and I had to get off and let it rest. I took these pics then. It is amazing how many people are actually on our highways at any given time. It felt like the entire city of Phoenix was trying to get out.
After it had cooled down, I did something I really detest other people doing, but I had no AC, and if I didn't get to some water and shelter soon, they were going to have a heat stroke victim to deal with in addition to the accident, so I rode the shoulder to the next exit. I'd been on the highway for two hours and was really sweltering. After the exit, it took me only about 30 more minutes to go around the accident and get back on I-17 again. Here's another pic I took nearing Flagstaff. I really love this area. Just some gorgeous country. About 6,000 feet up.
Anyway, I made it to the Grand canyon at about 5:30pm. I'll do a little touring tomorrow, then its on to Kenab, Utah. Only two more days on this little adventure of mine.

As always, more on Photobucket.

2 comments:

Richardson Twins said...

I hope you make a stop at Houston's Trails End Restaurant in Kanab. They had the best breakfast ever and it was easy on the wallet too!

Motorcycle Madness said...

Great article here. Thanks for posting this. Very useful information.