Tuesday, October 21, 2008

10/19/08 - New Orleans

Thatsalotabirds!
My trip was a bit shortened today, because my brother convinced me that I'd be a fool to pass up New Orleans(I was going to stay in Baton Rouge). This means that I'll have a long trip tomorrow. Anyway, since I got in early, I thought I'd wander around a bit. I went down to the riverfront where I saw this ship, the Steamer Natchez.Turns out, they have a tour. So I got on and took a trip downriver and back. Took 3 hours and I was served an excellent meal and listened to a great jazz band, the Dukes of Dixieland.It was full dark by the time we got back to port, so I got this excellent shot of New Orleans skyline at night, from the river.
Upon exiting the ship, I still had a couple hours till bedtime, so I wandered into the French Quarter to see what the hullabaloo was. It is actually quite nice and I loved the architecture.
Then I arrived at Bourbon Street.
Now, I'm sure it may be different during Mardi Gras, but in October, it is fairly empty of citizens. What I saw was a street with a bar through every other entrance. Every one of them had a live band playing, so, at any given time, I was listening to three or four different songs. These bars all had a person out front, trying to coax "revelers" inside to join the few other patrons who were there. It was really quite sad. I guess they make their fortunes in the spring. Either way, I'll take Vegas over New Orleans for partying. The rest of the city was quite nice, though. I'm glad I was talked into going.
More on photobucket

No comments: