Thursday, September 11, 2008

09/11/08 - Day 9

Today was quite an exciting day. We decided to take an excursion on the sand dunes. For this cause, we embarked on a grueling journey to 4 miles south of town to the Sand Dunes Frontier.
Now, if you know me at all, you know that I was quite excitied to rent one and go blasting through the dunes. Alas, it was not to be. It seems that the rental areas around here look quite harshly on the possibility of their equipment being damaged. In order to rent one for yourself, there is quite a deposit to be made, and they charge more in the eventuality of things like it getting wet, rolling over, or being sat on crooked(I imagine).

Anyway, we purchased an hour tour in one of their 4 man dunebugs. Kinda looks like I'm driving. How I wish it were so.
The Crew of the dread bug Dunechaser.

We embarked upon our journey with our captain Justin, in search of the unholy usurpers on individual ATVs. On the way we stopped by the ocean for a scenic photo op.
Upon completion of this, we set out again, in search of the scallywags. What Ho, Cap! I see one on the horizon!We gave chase, not realizing that it was a trap. The foul wretch left a sand mine for us.
(I really hope this does not become a theme for my trip)
Stranded, with no food or water, we were forced to crawl toward our base. I was afraid I would not make it. But what is this? The noise of an engine coming over the dunes?
Huzzah! 'Tis our companion ship, the Red Devil, captained by none other than some guy we left behind with our broke down craft.
For those who wish, I also took a video of some of the trip through the dunes. I held the camera as steady as I could. most of the jumble is bouncing around.
The tour was quite fun, even with the flat. If any of you get the chance to visit the central Oregon Coast, I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Pics 3 & 4 - I spy the Mythbusters! :-p

phoenixineohp said...

The pics with the trees are totally mind boggling! Sand, sand, sand, forest, sand, sand, sand... O.o So weird! I didn't know an oasis could have evergreens in it instead of the over used lonely palm tree.

Midnight Son said...

The dunes actually move around a bit. There was one place where there were trees half burried by sand. I didn't have a camera to capture it at the time, though.