Friday, September 5, 2008

09/04/08 - Day 2

Today was a very interesting day. It started out as a normal ride as I traversed the Eastern Oregon Mountains. Here's a shot looking down from them toward Pendleton, OR.
Then things got really interesting as I reached The Dalles, about 80 miles east of Portland. My Motorcycle started feeling a bit off, but not bad, so I didn't pay much heed at first. I stopped for Lunch at an excellent burger joint called Big Jim's.
The burger was delicious and I must say, the peppermint milkshake was just about the best I've ever had. Their service really shone, though as, when I walked out, I noticed that I had a flat rear tire. They called the local motorcycle place for me, and I got a tow over. The repairs delayed me about three hours, a fact that will come into play later.

My poor Beast!So, anyway, I moved on, riding along the Columbia River to Portland. The Columbia is the widest river I can recall seeing. I may have seen larger, as I was in Mexico as a very young kid, but do not recall if we crossed the Rio Grande. I do know I have crossed the Yukon in Alaska, but can't recall if it was this wide or not. Either way, my trip plans are going to fix this, as I plan to eventually cross the Mississippi at the widest point possible.

Traveling south from Portland, it started to get dark around Salem. I won't even start on Salem, except to say that whoever planned the city needs to be exhumed and then burned at the stake(I know bad reference to the wrong Salem).

Upon reaching my turning point in Eugene, it was full dark. The road from Eugene to the coast, where my parents live, is about 50 miles of the most twisty, winding road one is likely to ever see. Even in the light, this would be a bit of a challenge. Needless to say, I had the time of my life navigating it at full dark, in the middle of the night. What a blast! I even had the trip blessed by the local wildlife. About 10 miles out, a couple deer were crossing the road. I passed right between them with about 10 feet to spare on either side.

So, I have arrived safely in Florence. I will be here for a few days, but plan to post some of my activities here for your enjoyment.

The Columbia River, about 100 miles inland.

No comments: